Thursday, February 14, 2008

Closer

At night I use to lay in bed
Next to you
thinking
Wondering
Wishing
there was a way to get closer to you.
We tangle our legs
Use our toes like fingers
Clasping at feet
double wrap my arms around you
bury my face
in your streams of hair
I breathe you in
With all that I have
and I still wish to be closer

I awoke one morning
With the answer at hand
And while you were away
Off in dreamland
I snatched your undies
And one of your t-shirts
Squeezed into that top
Discovered thongs fucking hurt
Got myself dressed
And went off for the day
Wiggled and wormed my way
Through the morning
Picked and pulled
Through most of lunch
Finally relaxing
At a quarter past 2
And for a moment
I was right there with you
But I still wanted to be closer.

The very next day
I sprung into action
With you in the shower
Your gym clothes freshly used
I squeezed out the sweat
In your leftover tea from the night prior
With a few strands of your hair
Held together like wire
I stirred the contents up
Backwash and all
Sprinkled in some eye dust
Some lashes
And a clipped nail I found
Raised the cup up to God
And took the shot down!
Now, it wasn’t quite a tequila face I made
It wasn’t warm to core
It didn’t high five my heritage
I did not yearn for more
But
I felt something
And for a moment, I thought I was there,
But I still wanted to be closer.

Late that night while you were in your slumber
I shrank myself down to the size of a thought
Pranced around your pillow and
Dove in your ear.
I banged on the drum,
Shouted sweet nothings
until a secret door appeared
I ventured in
to a city of quick moving lights
there were large pools of memory
For my swimming delight
I bathed in both lakes of past
And the present
Rode down the slide
To the back of your mind
Planted some seeds
In Brain Stem Garden
Caught a double feature on the avenue of dreams
won an argument with the little voice in your head.
And danced the night away
To that song you kept singing
The very next day
And I have to say
I had a ball
But I still wanted to be closer.

Over the next week
I did some amazing things
Played hopscotch with your shadow
Colored pictures with your inner child
Buried myself in a grave of your socks
Went domino motherfucker all over your soul
Smoked weed with your conscience
Did stand up comedy at your funny bone
Played hide and seek with your natural scent
Put the smack down on your inner demons
Told ghost stores with your past lives
Performed card tricks for your third eye
sang 80s music atop your breasts
I wrote a complete unabridged dictionary based entirely upon you
and still I want to be closer.

At long last it hit me
There was nothing more I could do
You so wonderful
Amazing
I’m lucky to be this close to you
And so I laid down my head
I needed some well deserved rest
Removed your thong
And t-shirt
Snuggled up next to you
Pulled your arm over my chest
You woke up
Smiled
Kissed my cheek
I was so content
Fading
Vision hazy
Driting away
Until
I heard your voice calling
“Are you awake?”
Discombobulated but aware,
I slowly rolled over
And then you said
“Baby
Do you ever wish we could be closer?”

-(C) 2006

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Slapped in the Face, an AWESOME poem. Keep up the creativity.