Saturday, November 24, 2007

Poem - For You (To all those who feel sacrifice is the best way to show love)

For you
I’d give up
the little things that make life right
sweet tart candy
pixy sticks
rocky road ice cream
and Mexican style pinto beans
con arroz
y pollo

I’d leave behind
those fat bowls of Menudo
with just enough lemon and onion
and never again
would I drink Chocolate Abuelita.

I’d just flat out give up
all those sweet things
I had as a kid
Reeses Pieces candy
no liftin the lid
to grab those extra cookies
to dip in milk
and no more
lucky charms cereal
with purple horseshoes.

Giving up all this
would give me the blues,
but at least I’d have you.

And if that ain’t enough
I’d give up Hip-Hop
and ya don’t stop there
cause you know how I love
the WU
and its true that for you,
Dre
would never again play on my radio
No mo’
Cypress hill
bushwick bill
of the GZA’s killa hill
cause with you
I’d have no need for the
sugar hill, wu-tang, busta rhyming, tribe
that called for the quest to keep hip-hop real
and make no big deal about it
after this
I’d get down on one knee
climb the tallest tree
even allow myself
to be stung by a killer bee
for you.

And if you still wanted more
I’d go out to the corner store
and buy you flowers
shower you with kisses
and hugs
even join the “say no to drugs” campaign
and not complain at all
I’d be there to catch you when you fall
and call you
honey bear and baby doll
and still more
I’d drop to the floor
and scrub it till it shines.

Dear
for you
I’d give up watching movies
you know that’s a sacrifice
but to kick it with you
would be hella tight
ain’t gonna make it
a blockbuster night
no more Star Wars, James Bond, Godfather
gangster flicks
blacksploitation films
The Mack turning tricks
No more cool
clean DeNiro
Al Pacino trying to be Latino
Japanese animation
or Nightmare Before X-mas
claymation
I’d sell my videos and VCR
give my TV to the goodwill store
and never again
watch anything new
even if it’s a movie by
The Killer director
John Woo.

Baby,
I can do one more thing
my friendships have gone
into the familia ring
but in a couple
there is only Two
So, for you
I’d even stop
hanging out with
my entire crew…

WHOA there,
I’d have to say
giving up all that
would destroy may ways.
I’m afraid of bees,
I hate climbing trees,
I’d rather be stricken by disease
than give up hip-hop
and movies
I could never just leave
all my homies
PLEASE understand
Love you I do
I’ll always remain true
even act like a fool
WOOOO HAAAAh!
ya got me in check
but please
wait a sec.

I love you for you
hope the same goes for me
I’ll still get down on that knee
play with a dog infested with fleas
even sing old songs
written by the Bee-Gees
but change my whole life
I could never do
not even for you
I wouldn’t be myself
you wouldn’t be loving me.

Yeah
I’ve been shot
with cupid’s arrow of love
you and me
we fit like hand and glove
so come on
let’s forget ‘bout
that potion of sacrifice
and get those
Mexican pinto beans
with chicken and rice.

-(C) 1998

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!! Although it's never the same when I’m reading your poems as opposed to you reading them out loud. The way your words flow as you recite and get into character, your facial expressions, your movement, etc...just priceless!!!